Balaklava Nectar from How to Mix Drinks by Jerry Thomas -- original source of recipe, out of copyright
- Serves: 15
- rind of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons crushed sugar
- ½ a small cucumber, thinly sliced, peel on
- 2 bottles of soda water
- 2 bottles of claret
- 1 bottle champagne
- Thinly peel the rind of half a lemon, shred it fine and put it in a punch bowl
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and cucumber
- Toss up the mixture several times and then add the soda water, claret and champagne
- Stir together
- Ingredients should be chilled in a refrigerator for several hours prior to mixing.
- Traditionally, one large lump of ice should be added to the punch bowl in order to keep cool, but a portion of the punch mixed prior to the day of the event could be frozen overnight and added to the bowl instead of the ice so as to not dilute the mix.