Is a Black And Tan really a beer, as that's what it's made of? Or is it a cocktail since you're mixing various ingredients? It's a mystery that has literally (not literally) confounded the ages. Anyway, here's the basic recipe, as it's a pretty well-known beverage.
- 1 Part Bass® Pale Ale (or any pale ale)
- 1 Part Guinness® Stout (again, any stout, but Guinness is usually preferred)
- Fill a glass beer stein half full with Bass.
- Next pour Guinness over a spoon slowly until glass is full.
- If done correctly the Guinness will stay on top and the Bass on bottom, hence the name Black & Tan.