The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is a cocktail invented by ex-President of the Universe Zaphod Beeblebrox, considered by The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to be the "Best Drink in Existence". Its effects are said to be like "having your brains smashed in by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick".
Beeblebrox advised that you should "never drink more than two Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters unless you are a thirty ton mega elephant with bronchial pneumonia." However Ford Prefect ignored this advice and consumed three Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters while at Milliways.
- Take the juice from one bottle of Ol' Janx Spirit.
- Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V — Oh, that Santraginean seawater! Oh, those Santraginean fish!
- Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
- Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it, in memory of all those happy hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia.
- Over the back of a silver spoon, float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones, subtle, sweet and mystic.
- Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian Suns deep into the heart of the drink.
- Sprinkle Zamphuor.
- Garnish with an olive or three.
- Drink... but... very carefully...